Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bling Bling - Story of my Ring - Part 1

Image From Poll Boutique


So.... Boy Meets Girl.... yadda yadda yadda....


You get it, we're in love.... past the point of just saying "I love you" and doing nice things for each other... to be honest we were both adults and realized at about the same time that things were moving towards a more permanent arrangement and that we were both really comfortable with that.



We began talking about getting married - running through deal breaker questions like:


-Do we want kids?

-Where do we want to live / Where do we NOT want to live?

-How do we handle money together?

etc.



It began looking like it was time to start choosing ring styles!!!

I may or may not have some experience in the ring department - actually both of us have been engaged before and the last time for me I ended up with a ring that was not something I wanted to be wearing on a daily basis.

Don't Judge!

I'm not trying to be mean about the previous ring - just certain styles do not fit some people.


This time I wanted to help make sure this was a ring I could wear every day for the rest of my life! So here is what I knew I wanted:

-White gold
-Thin Band
-Solitaire
-Marquise or Emerald
-The ring had to be paid in full within 24 hours of acquisition

We started saving up for this purchase and stopping into jewelery stores when we were out shopping to get a better feel for the size and shapes of the different stones that were available. I decided fairly early on that I was in love with the Marquise style stone and unfortunately it is a fairly unpopular choice right now [read: no one is carrying them!!]


Before we really even got started we hit a huge wall.... An old medical bill of His from 2004-2006 resurfaced in the form of a judgement against him. Some bad-debt-collecting lawyer had filed to collect on this old bill and it basically worked out to Him owing $3,000 RIGHT.NOW.OR.ELSE!

For me, trying to move towards a more unified front meant that HE did not owe anything.... WE were on the hook for this $$$. Being fairly savvy in the ways of google I found that these debts can be settled for less, and often if paid immediately in cash could be legally taken care of. I called the lawyer's office and settled the $3,000 debt for $2,000 [paid immediately] in exchange for a letter stating the debt had been settled and they would surrender and legal rights to continue to come after us.


YAY- Done! - What a deal right?


Well, guess where that $2,000 had to come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment