Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

DIY Mason Jars

Image via Style Me Pretty

Seems like every wedding site or blog I visit has photos of pretty blue mason jars.

And while these are totally drool worthy and I love them, they would stick out like a sore thumb at our wedding.... blue is just not one of our colors...

I had seen a couple tutorials for how to do the blue coloring and figured if blue can be done, why not yellow??

Turns out it is ridiculously EASY to do.... here's how:


First you need to get the glass paint....

I got mine at Michael's.

All photos are personal unless noted



YOU.SHOULD.NEVER.GO.WITHOUT.A.COUPON!

Seriously, you can ALWAYS get 40% off - even if you have to bring a competitors coupon, please don't pay full price.

I got Pebeo paints in the Clear Thinner, Lemon #30 (frosted) and Sun Yellow #01 (glossy)... each were less than $3 after coupons.


I also picked up half a dozen jars - since this was a test run I didn't get too many, just a few to test out different combinations of thinner and color - the color paint by itself is STRONG... My fave mixture was about half and half of each....



The great thing about mason jars is that you can usually find them at your local thrift store - ours were just a quarter a piece!! SCORE!



To apply the glass paint I used a *cheap* sponge brush and an old {clean} lid from a tub of butter as my paint holder...


I placed my hand in the mouth of the jar, and applied the paint in streaks from bottom to mouth of the jar to keep the inevitable streak lines consistent. And let them dry on a sheet of aluminium foil to protect my counters. The paint drys to the touch quickly, but you should let them sit overnight.





The photo does not really catch the shine of the Sun Yellow jars or the awesome frost look of the Lemon jars, but this project really did turn out neat.



Here is a quick picture of the 'streak' effect I saw... nothing off-putting or anything.

I figure the total cost to make 25 jars would be about 61 cents per jar!! Not bad if I do say so myself!


Oh, and there are instructions on the glass paint to Bake the jars once they dry - if you bake them they become dishwasher safe... how cool right?


I think ours would look great with a large bunch of white carnations.... but I imagine there are tons of uses - like to hold fancy straws or ribbon wands.... etc


Plus there are thousands of color options!

No comments:

Post a Comment