Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Great Boondoggle - Part Two

So, as you saw in my previous post, I made plans to wrap up my business trip with another trip... a "boondoggle' if you will to upstate New York to go dress shopping with my mom and little sister.


The exciting thing about this whole trip was that it would actually cost much less to leave from New York than Pennsylvania - so basically I got a free trip to see my family.


Well, it was quite simple until.... the hurricane...


To be honest, I should have just gotten on the Friday flight outta there... but I had plans... and I had offered to babysit for one of my work friends in exchange for a free ride to NYC... And since I committed to my friend, he and his wife committed $600 to watch The Book of Mormon on Broadway [rave reviews if you were wondering]... so really there was no backing out of this boondoggle....


When they got back from their show I snagged a cab to the Amtrak station and got the heck outta dodge.... hey there was a hurricane coming! Well, I had to catch a train anyways, but it was good that I got out when I did - NYC shut down their subways and Airports and even the Amtrak at one point in time.


Unfortunately, when I got to Albany I found out that the Albany International Airport had decided to close too while I was on the train.... OOPS! It was too late at that point to do anything anyways so I headed to my moms for the night.

Saturday was pretty overwhelming...

I was tired....

I was sandwiched in shapers and spanx....

I was hungry since I skipped breakfast in favor of a makeup trial @ Sephora....

It.was.a.mess.


The first store we went to was the local Maggie Sottero distributor, Bridal Gallery By Yvonne, so I was quite excited.... but I did not find anything...


okay.exaggerate.much?







Victoriana by Maggie Sottero - Via Recycled Bride




Sorry - personal photos were not allowed... but the only dress I even came close to liking was Victoriana and really they did not have a ton to show me anyways... Plus I did not really care for the whole hop-in-the-gown-yourself approach they had....


Our second appointment was at a very upscale shop, Angelas Bridal... whose prices started at $1,200...



The nice part about this shop was that we had the whole store to ourselves - and all the dresses were on display in sizes 10-14 which was the range I was looking for anyways... YAY!



To start we could pick 5 dresses - so I let my mom and sister pick 1 each, the {absolutely fan-tastic} sales lady grabbed one and I picked a lacy topped dress and the dress in the window...


How much is that Doggie in the Window?

You know - the dress in the store window - it is clearly the best... well, to be fair it was exactly the style I had decided I wanted and I just happened to see it in the front.


oh.

It Won.


Hands Down.


It was THE dress....


Yeah, the dress that cost over $2000 (by like $50 + tax, but still)....



What are the rules ladies? DO.NOT.TRY.ON.A.DRESS.YOU.CANNOT.AFFORD!!!!




Can I put that any more simply???



Just Say No!



To be fair, I can afford the dress... really, the money is in the bank right now...



It's not just about what you CAN spend... it's also about what you are WILLING to spend... I have these hard core guilt pains from wanting that dress... yes I am still debating on whether or not to get it... but in the next week or two - if I don't order it, then I won't be able to get it in before the wedding anyways.



And then......


Image Via What, the Curtian?




We ended the day at Davids Bridal - and no offense but it was pretty anti-climatic in general - from what I can tell DB experiances are hit or miss. IMO more power to you ladies that score great deals there!



Did any of you realize that you weren't willing to part with your dress budget when reality hit?





P.s. I obviously made it out of NY alive - though that is a whole other story.


P.s.s. There will be pictures forthcoming of me in a dress once money has been paid, until then it is just too easy to get attached...

No comments:

Post a Comment